March 28, 2008

Fairhaven Find Part 2

I decided I wanted to get a few shots of the old Fairhaven building - Reid Boiler Works - from the lower level near the railroad tracks and happily froze my fingers off one afternoon not too long ago and wandered down to the beach to get a better view.


Its just a gorgeous building - and after doing some web research on the place, I found an article about it - where it talks about a big fire back in 1904 that destroyed most of the original building. I believe they are hoping to restore some of this building and keep it from completely falling apart to save some small bit of history for this town - seems to me that far too many historical buildings are getting taken out and replaced with more condos every day :(


I really hope they do fix it up enough to let people inside someday - Id love to get in there for just one minute! (ok, I could probably spend an entire day in there if I could get inside! shoosh...)


*sigh* I'll just keep dreaming...

3 comments:

Mike said...

That's my grandfathers shop, its still in operation :)

Jens Findings said...

ohhhhhhhhhh how lucky you are!! I bet he actually lets you in there! :D

Im always trying to sneak a peek when the doors in front are open a little. SO many funky rusty things...*sigh* :)

Thanks for stopping by!
PS what does he make in there?

Mike said...

Yeah, inside the shop is really neat and when I was a kid really scary! He is a boiler maker, so he builds retorts and boilers...I think most of the schools in Bellingham use his boilers to heat the schools. It's been in my family since the 1900's.