March 28, 2008

Fairhaven Find!



A few weeks ago, my husband and I took our daughter out for a walk down by Boulevard Park and walked up the path from Fairhaven to the Crysalis Spa area of the Boardwalk - where I have been wanting to get some pictures of this building for a very long time.


The front of the building at the street level is surrounded by...guess what?? - BLACKBERRY BUSHES of course! (because everything old and falling apart and rusty and fun to photograph is always always ALWAYS surrounded by the evil bush of doom...*shakes fist*) and there is no way at all to get inside this place - some old fellow came out of the office to holler at me when I went back later that week to try to peek inside through the giant green door...with a "Dont even think about it..." - and I actually asked if they would ever do a tour or let me do photo shoots inside if I paid the insurance and he laughed and told me a flat out "NO." - apparently its pretty dangerous in there...


So I wandered around the side of the building and found a little path that would take me back around...through the blackberry bushes (of course) - and I couldnt help but notice the post looked quite upset at me as I passed it.

But once I got through the thicket and around the corner, I found a great wall full of thoughts, rust and color. It made my scritched up leg all worth it. ;)



To the right of the painted door/wall - there was a nice little corner nook where It looks like people may be sheltering themselves from the weather from time to time. There was a path through the thicket and a mossy old board propped up to hide behind back there....

And it appears that whoever lives back there, is also a lover of Rust! I was so excited to find this pipe with "Love" scrawled across it - though my first initial reaction was "wow...I hope someone didnt get themselves smacked in the head with this thing ...all in the name of love" - ;)
There were tiny bits of bolts, metal fragments, and old nails and railroad spikes strewn all over the place alongside the building - Im guessing its probably not a great idea to eat any of the berries growing from that soil or drink any water that might run near there - looks to me like the soil was full of copper and rusty metals - but boy was it perty!


Ill have to go back in the summer and meet some of the homeless people living down there - I saw quite a few tents and makeshift homes in that area and while my friend Caiti and I were out shooting photos of this place, we met "Frog" - who when I asked him if he needed anything as we passed his tent propped up under an old boat frame - said "Nothing really - but a nice smile and conversation would be great."
Ill be back to chat with him soon - maybe he will let me take his photograph...

No comments: