February 25, 2008

Saturday Sunshine

This past weekend, I decided to steal my friend Caiti away from her Mommy duties and drag her around downtown Bellingham with me. She never seems to be able to get away by herself and now that my new Toy (Nikon D80....ohhhhhhh I cant wait) is on the way, I dont need my Olympus as my back up camera anymore - and she is used to having just a simple point and shoot camera to take photos with - so I handed her my professional grade camera and couldnt decide if it was more exciting to run amuck taking pictures around town or to watch her get excited about taking photos with my old camera!

We found a new purple wall and couldnt get enough of it. It was such a bright spot on an already beautiful sunny day. The color was just wild and I think we both oohed and ahhed over it at the same time as soon as we rounded the corner into the parking lot of the building!

I think one of my absolute favorite parts of walking through this town - is that on any given day, you will find random creatures, houseflies, spiders, monkeys, and numerous other creations staring back at you from the dark reaches of the alley ways. I love the creative minds that lurk in the shadows and leave little creations for us to stumble upon while we wander the streets on sunny afternoons!
We found our way down to where the antique shops are all closing up - my heart ached walking past all of the empty windows that used to have me standing in front of odds and ends, memories from childhood, and little bits of history that seem to never be valued until its far too late. Where have all of our antique shops gone? I loved taking my children in to see all of the wonders they held...now just a few remain on that little strip on Holly Street...and it feels broken.


The city is growing and changing all the time. The museum in this picture.... reflecting in the window, reflecting in the mirror inside of the antique store, while the reflection of a 2000ish vehicle makes its place known.... just really felt symbolic to me.


One of the things I like best about taking friends with me on photo explores is seeing their views on the same things I saw and took pictures of that day. It is always exciting for me when I see what they saw through their lens and find that we both focused for a moment on the exact same moment in time - exactly the same way. Caiti sent me some of her photos today and I was "tickled pink" to see that she took the exact same photo that I did of these old pink shoes reflecting in the window. :)

It was a really fun day and I hope to do it again really soon. Thanks for joining me Caiti! Next time we stop for Icecream!!

(for more photos from the day please visit my album here )

No comments: