February 12, 2008

Totally Rejected Anarchists

I've driven past this house for about 3 years and havent ever had the time to stop and photograph it - well thats not true...I tried to about a year ago and went during the summer - and found out the hard way that the place is surrounded by wild blackberry bushes and I wasn't quite ready to have my legs ripped apart just to get a closer look...

But this time...I wore thick boots, wool socks and tights under my jeans and felt like a warrior heading into battle as I trampled those evil shrubberies under my mighty feet of doom!! There was no stopping me from getting around to the back of the building or peeking into the windows!


Unfortunately - Im short. The windows were up too high and I couldnt see into them even if I wanted to...and the front steps were missing and I wasnt too sure I wanted to brave the rotted out front porch if I did manage to pull myself up high enough to get inside - so I had to settle for walking around the other side of the house in hopes of finding a window designed for the vertically challenged peeping Tom's out there...


And I found one!!! I was able to stand up on some old metal radiator thingy majigger (Im so technical ...) and point my camera into the house - though I wasnt tall enough to actually look through the lens myself and just held it up and snapped, hoping the auto focus would catch something interesting - I didnt realize how much Id find when I looked through my photos later on.



All of the walls, ceiling, doors...everything - had writing on it. One of these days Im going to take a photo buddy with me to get in there and take pictures of all of the crazy words, the thoughts of the homeless, angry, rebellious people that squatted there for what looks like about 11 years -

Im sure there are some amazing pieces of art spray painted on the walls in that house - I hope someone gets in there and photographs it before the county demolishes the place in their widening of the highway project....so many stories - so many lives - I always say I wish the walls could talk - and apparently in this house its not just the walls that have something to say, but the window panes, door frames, and ceilings do as well...


I wandered around to the front of the house against my better judgement - its right on a busy street where people were able to see me poking around - and could have easily had the cops called on me but luckily no one bothered.

It looks like the upstairs windows are boarded up - Im dying to know what is up there, but not willing to die to find out. So Ill save that floor for another day...Man I need a photo buddy with more nerves than I have ;) - who wants to go exploring?


This was the last shot on my camera. It was a giant jug sitting out by where the front porch used to be...Do you see me?

1 comment:

Sandi said...

Alright, you talked me into it... I'll go in there with you ; )