February 12, 2008

The Shed on the Hill


Behind the House on the Hill (from my previous blog) I found this little Shed - that appeared to be housing more homeless people from time to time. The roof was amazing and had a big blue tarp nailed up from the inside to keep the weather out and it was full of wonderful Moss creatures!


It appears that most of the shingles have been ripped away by natures wrath because there were plenty of lonely nails standing around on it ...


When I finally made my way to the front, the first thing that caught my eye was the wonderful little tree/bush monster that was slowly devouring the right side of the building.




There were so many textures going on there - peeling paint, rotting wood, tall wheat-like grasses, broken windows, tangled branches and vines...it was a while before I stepped foot inside because I was having serious "WOW...look at all this great stuff" overload.



The first thing I see when I get inside are these two paint cans...I havent a clue why they were there but I can tell you that I laughed out loud and really really wished I knew the story behind them. It was odd to find such bright colors among all of the browns and coppers of decay in there..


There really wasnt much inside the building except for some old sleeping bags, a bunch of newspapers, and massive amounts of shells - oyster and clam shells...they were everywhere, which was really odd, because the house was no where near the beach (its actually down the street from the Mall and right along the freeway...) so either someone found free food and brought it back to eat there, or someone has a passion for collecting shells...Either way I found it rather intriguing and noticed this one little pile that seemed to have been carefully thought out, next to one of the windows -

I would like to go back there when the seasons change to see what it looks like in spring or summer - if its still there by then. It looked like there was construction (or rather DEstruction) work going on right near the buildings and the earth around the house and shed were being eaten away by the "big diggers" - I have a feeling the house and its little shed are nearing extinction. Sadly.

I wonder what stories these walls hold - and what happened to the people that know them.

No comments: